Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2017

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey Day 16 Week 4

Day 16 – National Celebrations
Activity 1
Imagine that you are visiting on the national holiday of your chosen country. On your blog tell us what you would eat, see and do on that day.
My country is Canada, and I would love to eat poutine with maybe some nachos. I really enjoy eating these foods here in New Zealand (Which maybe is uncommon?). I would also set off some amazing, loud and humongous fireworks!
Image result for Canada Day GIF
Activity 2
Create a brand new public holiday for the country.  Use your creativity to come up with a name for the holiday and a short description of how people in the country celebrate the holiday. Do they all get the day off? Do they eat special foods or go to special events to mark the day?
On the 21st of August, New Zealand will now (Maybe) have a Diverse Day. This means, Workers, Students, Children and EVERYONE will each have a taste or little visit (Not actually) around all the cultures New Zealand - I dearly hope this makes enough sence. (They may have a day off work but people can do work!)
Bonus Activity
In New Zealand our national holiday is on 6 February. It is called Waitangi Day. What do you do to celebrate Waitangi Day? Do you go somewhere special? On your blog tell us what you do on that day. On Waitangi Day, my family and I go up North (Not always) for just a relaxing day, unless it’s packed!
Image result for Waitangi Day

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work Aaliyahna!

I liked this! I would also set off huge fireworks! And your idea for a diversity day is excellent. I wonder what the activities would be. I bet if we all had a diversity day we could have huge markets all over New Zealand as well as shows and other festival things. Maybe parades!

Did you know that New Zealand has 213 different ethnic groups in it? That is more than the number of countries in the world! Can you believe it??

I hope we do get a holiday like that.

Keep up the good work and nice thinking!

Mark

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna,

Good thinking!! I love the idea of a "Diverse Day" - that's a great name for a day celebrating everyone's background and traditions!! It would give Kiwi's a fun opportunity to learn more about each other's favourite foods and activities - great idea!

If you were in Canada on Canada Day you would certainly have no trouble finding some poutine! I live in a small town in Ontario, close to the border with Quebec. Poutine is a French Canadian food which I'd never heard of until my family moved to Almonte 25 years ago. When we lived in southern Ontario, in the town of Oakville, poutine wasn't something that was available at restaurants or chip trucks. So, there are very different traditions even within one country sometimes.

I'm not a fan of poutine but I'll share your nachos any day!!

I'm enjoying your blog!!

Leslie

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.