Pages

Saturday 17 December 2016

SLJ~ (Summer Learning Journey) Week 1 Day 1☺️πŸŽ“

Day 1 – Choosing a destination The world is a very big and very cool place. There are currently 196 countries and approximately 7.1 billion people living on earth. For this project we are going to focus on just 10 countries across 6 continents – Canada (North America), Mexico (Central America), Chile (South America), England (Europe), Germany (Europe), South Africa (Africa), United Arab Emirates (Middle East), Japan (Asia), Malaysia (South-East Asia), and Australia (Australasia).
Please click on the World Map tab on the main menu. It will bring you to a big map. One by one click on the names of the countries and ready the ‘Quick Facts’ about each place.
Activity 1
After you have read the quick facts about each place you must choose ONE country that you would like to ‘visit.’ On your blog post the name of the country and tell us why you have chosen to visit it. Please give, at least, two reasons for choosing the country.
I can’t decide which country to pick so I most likely had to pick two. The  countries are Canada and Japan.
The reason why I picked Canada was because, Canada has a range of Outdoor Activities. I really like having fun outdoors and Canada seemed like the good place to do it! My next reason is because Canada has Diversity, by that we can embrace our own culture!  
Image result for canada outdoor activitiesImage result for canada diversity
Japan : I really would like to visit Japan because the types of robotics they create, I would love to do that! Japan create really funny, cool and odd types of robotics/technology. My second reason is about an adventure throughout the temples, castles or shrines, I do know that there will be religion and I respect that!

Image result for Tō-jiImage result for Japan Robotics
Activity 2
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.
My Canadian facts are either funny, weird or interesting!
* Most of the license plates in Nunavut on Cars and Motorcycles are shaped like a polar bear!
* 32% of Canadians are happy, 55% are not as happy and the other 13% are unknown.
*  To every 1000 people in Canada there is 459 cars! (WOW!)
Image result for Canada
Japan
* Japan suffers from acid rain (Sometimes) from all the gasses produced by power plants.
* Japan in fact are actually sitting on the ring of fire, and that’s why they experience Volcanos, Tsunamis and Earthquakes.
* Almost ¾ of Japan is basically mountains or forests.
Image result for Japan
Bonus Activity
Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!

Hello, Dad and Mum!
How have you been? I have absolutely got some good news about leaving this country! I am thinking of going to Canada and Japan, what are your thoughts about this? I'm certainly sure you would want to understand why! I desperately want to visit Canada mostly because of the Outdoor Activities but also because of the animals they have above mountains or even throughout the forest (except for the dangerous ones!). Japan is next on my list! It’s because Japan are really creative with the robotics science, transportation and the food! I love how Japan are capable to make a robotic dog, a efficient train and still make delicious food! During my time in Canada we would be 13, 056 km away but in Japan it's totally different, by a bit, 9, 346 Km. There is a bit catch to this note! Unless you were right next to me! YES! I'm inviting you guys!
Much love, Your youngest!
Image result for Canada and japan cities

6 comments:

Unknown said...

G'day Aaliyahna! Welcome back to the Summer Learning Journey blogging programme! I am so happy to see that you have joined us again this holiday. It's wonderful to have you back:)

It is also wonderful to see that you have embraced two such interesting and diverse countries. Canada is certainly large and quite extreme in its scenery (landscapes) and weather. In fact, today it is about -30 in Ottawa, Canada (where my family is from!).

Japan, on the other hand, is completely unique in that it has this amazing mixture of the old and the new. It also blends together elements on the eastern culture with elements of the west (where we live). I had the opportunity to live in Japan for a year in the mid-2000s and I found it intriguing. I could go straight from an ancient temple into a modern day shopping mall. Crazy!

I hope that you will continue to post such interesting and informative blogs this holiday. I have already learned so much! For example, I had no idea that the license plates in Nunavut are shaped like a polar bear. Who knew?!

Thanks for teaching me something new!

Keep up the great work :)

Rachel

Unknown said...

Kia ora Aaliyahna,

I'm Mark and I am working on the summer learning journey programme with Rachel as well! I am so excited to see how much work you have already done, and am stoked to see you have chosen two of my favourite countries on the list.

If there's one thing I know about Canadians (and I know quite a few), it is that they are very much like Kiwi's! They love a good laugh, are friendly, multicultural, and they have a friendly rivalry with their bigger neighbour (guess which country I am talking about) just like us!

I have visited Japan several times now also, and I can say it is as amazing as you are imagining. It's not just modern, but also the coast near Kamogawa is very much like our own Coromandel with lovely limestone cliffs and formations! It is a huge mixture of modern and ancient culture with high rises and neon lights right down the road from incredibly old temples. The people are very kind and friendly, especially when they see a lost tourist in the train station (that was me)!

I don't know if you know this, but I am also a teacher in real life! I have to say that your blog is fantastic! It is well written, interesting, and keeps me wanting to know more! If there is one thing that might help a reader believe your statistics more, it is if you can write when or where you got it from, so for example you could say "A 2015 newspaper survey said that 32% of Canadians are happy, 55% are not as happy and the other 13% are unknown." This is one thing that I can think of that will advance your writing (and of course, I wouldn't expect to see if for every statistic as it is pretty special for a year 6 to be using such a high level technique!)

I'm about to read your second blog and I'm really looking forward to it! I hope you're having a wonderful holiday!

Tino Pai!


Mark

Mr. Nath said...

Wow Aaliyahna, I am so so thrilled to read all about the good work you are doing through this summer learning journey. I will try my best to read all your blogs and comment on it as well. I am pretty sure that you will learn a lot about Canada and Japan and at the sane time compare it with what you know about New Zealand.

Keep up with your good work and lets hope that you will earn yourself a prize as well.

have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Happy blogging.

cherise said...

Nice work Nanz
I really like the choices
that you made keep up the
hard work and good effort

cherise said...

Nice work Nanz
I really like the choices
that you made keep up the
hard work and good effort

Aaliyahna M said...

Thank you all for commenting onto my work! I have just managed access my comments now! ~ Sorry for the very, late reply

Regards.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.