Pages

Sunday 18 December 2016

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey ~ Day 2 Week 1

Day 2 – Learning the basics
Now that you have chosen your country, it is time to decide where, within your country, you would like to visit. Many tourists will choose to visit the capital city of a country. It is often quite large and full of interesting things to see and do.

Activity 1
Before you go overseas it will be important that you learn a bit about the capital city of your country. Hop online and find out about the capital city of your country. Use this information to complete the five sentences below:
  1. The name of the capital city is Ottawa
  2. The population of the capital city is 35.16 Million
  3. In January, the weather in the capital city is usually Winter, which is quite cold.
  4. The capital city is located in the Ottawa is located in the northern (northern, southern, middle) part of the country.
  5. The languages most commonly spoken in the capital city are French and Canadian - English.
  6. The name of the capital city is Tokyo
  7. The population of the capital city is 127.1  Million
  8. In January, the weather in the capital city is usually Winter.
  9. The capital city is located in the Northern/ Eastern area (northern, southern, middle) part of the country.
  10. The languages most commonly spoken in the capital city are Japanese.

Activity 2

One of the most popular activities in Madrid, the capital city of Spain, is called ‘Bullfighting.’ It has been a part of Spanish culture for centuries. In bullfighting people called ‘toreros and ‘matadors’ fight with a live bull. The toreros do most of the fighting and, ultimately, capture the bull and tie it up. Once it has been caught, the matador joins the fight and kills the bull. Although most toreros and matadors are men, there are some women who also compete in the sport.
Not everyone supports bullfighting in Spain. In fact, about 30% of the population want it to be banned (stopped) completely. What do you think? On your blog tell us whether or not you think that bullfighting should be banned in Spain. Please provide, at least, two reasons to support your decision.
From my own opinion about bullfighting, we should certainly stop it! I’m saying this desperately as a bull is part of our Earth and we should leave them alone. I saw a book and it had something to do with, You live, let me live or something along those line and that really made me think about the Bulls. We should leave the bulls alone and focus on what Catalonia did in 2011(Ban on Bullfighting in Catalonia 2011).I also do know that my “statement” will be wrong due to tradition,  but this is my own opinion about bullfighting and this  be stopped.


Bonus activity
Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. Have you been to Wellington? If so, please tell us about two things that you did when you were in Wellington. If you haven’t had the opportunity to go to Wellington, follow the link to learn more about this very cool city: Discover Wellington.
On your blog, tell us what two things you would like to do if you had the chance to visit Wellington. Would you go to the botanical gardens or visit the Beehive? Perhaps you would prefer to go shopping on Cuba Street or go out for dinner on Quay Street…
If I ever visit Wellington, I would definitely cruise Cuba Street and do some shopping! The last thing I would do probably, WELL!  Everything, I would definitely do everything I could before I leave back for Auckland/Canada/Japan! The best thing to do for me is have as much fun as I can.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ka Pai Aaliyahna!

Very nice research there. Good facts and some well thought out answers. I think the idiom you are thinking of while referring to bull fighting is "Live and let live" but I have no idea who said it. Ghandi has said something similar. Another reason I might end bull fighting has to do with how long it takes for the animal to die, and how much pain they feel. It makes me sad to think about it. What did Catalonia do in 2011? I am not as well researched as you, but I would like to know more.

On a more positive note! I lived in Wellington for 3 years when I was studying film! There are lots of beautiful places to visit, and some really interesting ones too (like Weta Studios) and there is even a bit of forest on one of the local hills where part of the Lord of the Rings was filmed!

I hope to read more of your blogs soon!

Mark

Mr. Nath said...

Well done Aaliyahna. It is pleasing to learn that you have a taken a stand against bull fighting. Like human beings, bulls also have a life and feel pain like we do, so it is so horrific to cause pain to animals just for our own pleasure. Actually, I am against any harm to animals for pleasure.

All the best with your summer learning journey.

Mr. Nath

cherise said...

Omg Nanz
Day 2 and your blogs are look sharp
I love the cool and interesting facts you
wrote on your Blog
again Keep up the awesome Blogs

cherise said...

Omg Nanz
Day 2 and your blogs are look sharp
I love the cool and interesting facts you
wrote on your Blog
again Keep up the awesome Blogs

Aaliyahna M said...

Thank you all for commenting on my blog! I appreciate all the comments on my work!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.