Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2016

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey Day 5 Week 1

Day 5 – Boarding the Plane
It’s the big day! You’re about to hop on an airplane and travel to a new country. Curious Kiwi will keep you company on the journey. Unfortunately, Curious Kiwi forgot his book and he is worried that he’ll get bored on the long flight without anything to read. He asks you for some help…

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image II.jpgC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image.jpgC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image III.jpg
Activity 1

Think about all of the books that you have read this year and recommend one for Curious Kiwi to read. On your blog list the title and author of the book and then provide a short description of it. What is the book about?
Title : Infinity Ring : The Trap Door
Author : Lisa McMann
Daq, Riq and Sera have travelled all the way to Cambridge, Maryland in 1850 during all the slavery times. A storm passed by so they stopped at Ms. Beesons place for some shelter. During their time inside Ms. Beesons house, suddenly they were locked. Riq came up with an awkward idea, next time the door opens, they can escape. Riq’s plan failed and was soon due to be a slave, and to be sold at a slave auction. While Riq was taken to the slave auction, a girl appeared out of somewhere and… You’ll have to see what happens! (Sorry, it's sort of a surprise!)
Activity 2
Read the following three reviews of books that are really popular right now in Canada. If you had to choose one for Curious Kiwi to read on the plane, which one would you choose? Post the name of the book that you would chose on your blog. Below the title explain why you would choose that book.
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Catching Fire book cover image.jpgBook 1: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Matilda book cover.jpg

Book 2: Matilda by Roald Dah
Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a kid-hating terror of a headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she suddenly discovers she has a remarkable power with which to fight back. It'll take a superhuman genius to give Miss Trunchbull what she deserves and Matilda may be just the one to do it!
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\DoaWK image.jpgBook 3: Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Ugly Truth
Greg Heffley has always been in a hurry to grow up. But is getting older really all it’s cracked up to be? Greg suddenly finds himself dealing with the pressures of boy-girl parties, increased responsibilities, and even the awkward changes that come with getting older—all without his best friend, Rowley, at his side. Can Greg make it through on his own? Or will he have to face the “ugly truth.”
From my own perspective, I would have picked Hunger Games : Catching Fire. The reason is because this book has so many adventurous scenes. It may cause a little fright reading the middle part of the story but to me, that’s just the actual beginning. Make sure to read the book to the end and cautiously seek out the different types of adventures that Katniss and Peeta.
Image result for The Hunger Games Catching FIre
Bonus Activity

It’s time to use your imagination to write a short story. I’ve provided you with three different beginnings for a story. Choose your favourite beginning and finish the story. What happens next? You can use your imagination and create any ending that you want. To earn full points, you must post, at least 8-10 sentences, on your blog.

I looked around the room. Nothing seemed unusual, but then…
I knew it was going to be an unusual day when my mom came into my bedroom and said...
The spaceship was out of control and only one person could save us....


The spaceship was out of control and the only person could save us was “Mysterious Monkey”, I was super frightened when my greatest fremy said “Trust Sir Monkey, He will keep us both safe”.  I screamed with fear and a little, just a little bit of trust. ERRRHHH! An enormous creepy, unusual creature appeared under our spaceship and suddenly opened up the doors. “AHHH!” I shouted.. “KEEP us safe Sir Monkey”, my frienemy rudely interrupted me. The creature continued to open all the doors since there was at - least seventeen doors. Bang! Wowww! SHH! AHH! All the doors kept breaking, popping or naturally opening. “Wake up, Wake up” screamed my Dad! “Ahh! Dad watch out for the creepy creature as it's coming through the glass doors, wait, where, huh?” I said to my dad. “It was just a silly dream honey, you were even screaming” Everyone replied. “Oh! It seemed so real!” I said frustratedly. I went back to sleep, snoring like usual.=

THE END

8 comments:

cherise said...

OH yea oh yea I the first one to comment on here
Nice Job naz
Keep Going

Robin Plessius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin Plessius said...

Good Job Aaliyahna
Robin Plessius

Unknown said...

Kia ora Aaliyahna,

Great book reviews! I'm not sure if you've read Matilda, but I have and found it highly entertaining. I really recommend it if you haven't already read it. Very easy to read, funny, frightening, and a great story!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holidays, and look forward to reading more of your blogs soon.

Mark

Unknown said...

OH! I didn't see your story down the bottom! What a creative and funny little read! I really like it. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna, You've given your answers a lot of thought and answered very thoroughly. I found your responses interesting and you're inspiring me to read the Hunger Games book as you've enjoyed it so much. It's the one of the 3 that I haven't read yet.

Good story about your frightening dream - it sounded real!

I hope you're enjoying these activities - you're doing such a good job with them!

Anonymous said...

Mōrena Aaliyahna,

Great reviews! I've started reading a book called Conspiracy 365: September. It's one book of a very entertaining series, and it has kept me hooked, wanting to see what happens next. I'm not sure if you have read it, but if you haven't, be sure to give it a read!

Your story at the end was also very entertaining! Maybe you could write a book of your own!

Keep it up!
Iisa

Aaliyahna M said...

Mark ~ I haven't had a chance to read Matilda exactlly yet but, I will keep Matilda in mind!

Lisa ~ No, I have not read that exact book but I have heard of the series, In fact I actually own Conspiracy 365 March! But I will also keep that book in-mind~!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.